Russian-Speaking Domestic Abuse Advocate
- Community Services Division - Journey to Safety
- Waltham, MA, USA
- Full Time - Schedule may be flexible
- We regret that we cannot take phone calls regarding this position. JF&CS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Journey to Safety (JTS) is the domestic abuse program of Jewish Family & Children's Service, a large multi-service agency. Journey to Safety provides culturally competent, religiously sensitive services to survivors of domestic abuse, with specialized services for the Jewish and Russian-speaking communities. The Russian speaking advocate is primarily responsible for providing services for Russian speaking clients. As a member of the Journey to Safety team, the advocate also conducts intakes for English speakers and may serve English speaking clients as the caseload allows.
The role of the domestic abuse advocate includes conducting intake assessments, providing domestic abuse counseling, psycho-education about the dynamics and patterns of domestic abuse, and empowering clients to determine and achieve their goals. The advocate provides case management support, and connects clients and their dependent children to all resources necessary to become safer and more secure including housing, public benefits, legal assistance and counseling. The advocate may be involved in outreach and awareness raising activities of the JTS program.
The Advocate will work closely with the Director and staff of Journey to Safety, colleagues across JF&CS as well as in the community. JTS provides a high level of supervision and support. JF&CS offers a generous and competitive benefits package.
- BA or BSW required. Master's Degree in Social Work or equivalent degree preferred.
- Must be bi-lingual in Russian and English, in both oral and written communication.
- Must bring an understanding of Russian culture so as to provide culturally competent case management services.
- Must have experience working directly with clients in a case management or direct service capacity.
- Must have excellent organizational and problem solving skills; be flexible and able to support client's evolving needs over time.
- Familiarity with restraining and harassment orders, immigration laws, criminal laws, probate court and family law, child projective services, public benefits and housing is helpful. Training can be provided.
- Clinical understanding of trauma and the impact on survivors of domestic abuse is helpful.
- Must possess a reliable vehicle and valid driver's license and be willing to transport clients if need be.
- Familiarity with Jewish culture and religion is a plus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (excel, word, outlook, power point) and using web based systems is required.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media