- CHAI Services - Respite and Recreation Programs
- Newton, MA, USA
- Part Time
- We regret that we cannot take phone calls regarding this position. JF&CS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The Respite and Recreational Music Therapist works directly with individuals (ages 5-35) with severe neurological disorders and Autism Spectrum Disorder in a group setting, for 20 Sundays throughout the year. In addition to working with participants, their position works with the Program Manager, the Asst. Program Managers and direct care staff who provide support for participants. The Music Therapist will be responsible for preparing and leading therapeutic music groups that are age appropriate and adapted for the individuals' disabilities. The music sessions should highlight individual's strengths, should encourage turn taking, socialization, self-expressiveness and be actively engaging in an environment.
Program sessions will take place at the Jewish Community Center in Newton, MA from 12:00pm to 3:00pm and at the Stoughton YMCA from 3:30pm to 6:00pm. Each Music session will be one hour for 3 different programs; The Kids' Connection Corner Program (12-1pm), the Sunday Swim and Sing Program in Newton (2-3pm) and in Stoughton (3:30-4:30pm).
Essential Job Functions:
- Working directly with staff members and participants.
- Leading 3 1-hour music group for each music session
- Preparation of curriculum and materials before each session.
- Communicating with staff about effective ways to engage in music as group members.
- Experience working with people with disabilities preferred.
- Experience working with or under a Licensed Music Therapist
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Experience using Microsoft
- 1st Aid/CPR certification or ability to obtain certification within the first 90 days.