Chief Financial & Operations Officer
- Administration - Executive Team Fiscal & Operations
- Waltham, MA, USA
- Full Time
- We regret that we cannot take phone calls regarding this position. JF&CS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
JF&CS's Chief Financial & Operations Officer (CFOO) will provide both strategic and operational leadership as a key member of the Executive Team, in a role which is both highly impactful and highly visible. This position supervises the Finance, Human Resources, Operations, Facilities, and Information Technology functions, leading a team of 5 direct reports and approximately 20 professionals in total. Together these teams support an organization with a $26 million budget, 375+ staff, 40 programs, and 3 office locations.
The CFOO plays a critical role in the organization's business and organizational management, seeking to optimize both financial performance and organizational effectiveness, facilitate long-term planning, and oversee complex operating activity associated with both our central services and our client-focused programming. The CFOO will be a key partner to the CEO, will develop strong relationships with managers and staff throughout the agency, and will work closely with lay leaders on our Board of Directors and Finance Committee.
The ideal candidate for this position is analytical, collaborative and results-driven, and will build positive relationships with a range of stakeholders. The CFOO should be equally comfortable working through strategy and details, with the flexibility to jump in at the level required for the task at hand. The CFOO will possess strong financial and business analysis skills and be an excellent verbal and written communicator in both formal and informal settings. We are fortunate to have a very strong Finance Director, so the CFOO need not be a trained accountant, but should have exceptionally strong budgeting and analysis skills to bring clarity to the complexities of our organization's finances, guide our program managers through business planning, and communicate appropriately with our professional and lay leaders.
Candidates for this position should also have expertise in some, though not necessarily all, of the other areas to be supervised. The ideal candidate will have a deep expertise in managing and coaching people and teams and in building organizational culture, and a comfort in negotiating contracts and business agreements. Prior human service agency experience is valuable but not required, but an eagerness to delve deep, learn about our industry, and build relationships across the agency and the community is essential
- Serve as a key member of the agency's executive leadership team, contributing toward the strategy for agency programs, operations, revenue development, community relations and more; serve as a representative and ambassador for the agency with external constituents, building support and understanding at community events
- Serve as key executive team member for our board committees and task forces on Finance, Technology, Compliance and Risk Management, Real Estate, and other ad hoc task forces as needed.
- Supervise, coach and coordinate director-level staff in Finance, Human Resources, Operations, Facilities, and Information Technology
- Work directly with program leaders to refine business models - considering new modes of pricing, grant opportunities, and other revenue enhancing opportunities, while also seeking savings in cost structures
- Ensure efficiency, effectiveness and customer focus in all of our operational departments, with an eye toward opportunities for innovation and improvement
- Direct short and long-term financial planning, forecasting, budgeting, and management; enable clear analysis of business models and opportunities in a complex multi-service agency; create insightful summaries and presentations understandable to those with and without financial expertise; serve as key financial spokesperson with Finance Committee and Board of Directors;
- Manage all agency contracts and agreements, including leases, government contracts, purchasing and more; serve as an advisor to program directors around these issues; serve as the primary liaison to our external legal counsel
- Manage, support and develop our Director of Finance who is responsible for all financial operations including budgeting and forecasting, accounting, cash and investment management, audit and regulatory reporting.
- Supervise our Director of Operations, who is responsible for compliance and risk management, including accreditations, internal and external audits, incident and insurance management, and overall quality control; ensure that the agency is managing risks appropriately
- Oversee our Director of Human Resources to build on our culture of collaboration and growth, while driving development of best practices; advise on and mediate complex employee issues and facilitate change management activities
- Supervise Facilities Director regarding real estate strategy for our main Waltham office as well as other small offices and client-serving sites, including our residential program sites; ensure effective and efficient facilities, office management, and administrative support
- Oversee our IT Director who is charged with developing and supporting the technical infrastructure to support our operations and our staff; supervise technology purchasing and cybersecurity initiatives
- Work with Development team to create clear and compelling analyses for funders
- 10+ years of experience managing finance and supervising complex operations
- Very strong financial acumen, including analytical skills in budgeting, financial modeling and long-term planning
- 7+ years team management experience, including experience managing managers, with excellent leadership and coaching skills, and familiarity with HR best practices
- Strong communications, collaboration, and relationship-building skills, including the ability to work across the organization and with board members, to contribute positively to organizational morale, and to coach others through change and complexity
- Excellent operational management skills, including solid experience with contracting, purchasing, and project management
- Broad-based analytical, problem-solving and leadership capabilities - able to contribute strategically in areas beyond their own role
- Highly proficient with Excel and comfortable with technology for accounting, financial analysis and business operations; experience with Adaptive Insights is a plus
- Non-profit experience preferred, including an understanding of private philanthropy, government contracts, and fee-for-service income and/or familiarity with human service compliance and risk management requirements
- Bachelor's degree required. MBA or CPA valued.
- Must be available to represent the agency at community-wide events and board-related meetings which may take place on nights and weekends.
Our Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
We acknowledge and respect the fundamental value and dignity of all individuals and are committed to creating and maintaining an environment that is welcoming of all and celebrates the uniqueness of those we serve, staff, volunteers, donors, and business partners.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media