Chief Philanthropy Officer
- Administration - Executive Team
- Waltham, MA, USA
- Full Time
- We regret that we cannot take phone calls regarding this position. JF&CS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Jewish Family & Children's Service is seeking a Chief Philanthropy Officer (CPO) to lead all fundraising, volunteer, and board development activities. This is a high impact high visibility role, and a key member of the JF&CS executive leadership team. The successful candidate will play a critical role in furthering our mission of providing exceptional human services, guided by Jewish traditions of social responsibility, compassion, and respect for all members of the community.
The Chief Philanthropy Officer will lead an 8-person team which raises approximately $8 million per year from individual and institutional supporters. Building on the agency's successful philanthropic track record, the CPO will define our development strategy, supervise its implementation, steward a personal portfolio of major donors, and nurture a culture of philanthropy within and beyond our organization. This work includes operational oversight of our development operations, as well as financial analysis, planning, and reporting.
The CPO will work closely with board leaders, the development committee, and a range of program, nominating, and governance committees. A key objective is to expand volunteer ambassadorship and leadership capacity. This work also includes oversight of a strong volunteer program that engages 2,000 volunteers per year.
The CPO and the development team play a key role in building revenue through strategic activities across the organization. They work in close partnership with program leaders on ideas to meet emergent needs, fund innovation, and report on results. They also work with the marketing team to define and deliver our messaging. They collaborate with partner organizations on joint fundraising, write grants for government funds, and collaborate with a lobbying firm on government relations.
With varied high impact programs addressing economic insecurity, mental health, disabilities support, aging, early relationships, trauma, domestic abuse and more JF&CS appeals to a wide range of donors. Part of the work of the CPO is to paint a clear picture of our work for donors, and match philanthropy to the needs of the organization.
The CPO's direct reports are effective, team-focused, and growth-oriented. They include a Director of Individual Giving, a Director of Institutional Giving, a Development Operations Manager and a Volunteer Services Manager, as well as an Administrative Associate. Three other individual contributors fill out the team.
With a new CEO now in her second year, and strong results from 2020, the CPO is poised for significant impact. Key opportunities include the roll-out of leadership giving societies to broaden and deepen the donor base, expansion of planned giving, and new institutional, individual and government opportunities in conjunction with programmatic innovation.
- Serve as a key member of the agency's executive leadership team, contributing toward agency strategy related to programming, operations, and revenue development; serve as a representative and ambassador for the agency across the external community
- Build development strategy across all areas of individual and institutional giving
- Manage and participate in all development activities, and personally steward approximately 100 major donors
- Align strategic growth priorities with development opportunities, to grow our major gifts
- Communicate JF&CS strategy and needs by overseeing our proposals, grant applications, and analytical reports
- Expand donor base through strategic networking, "friend-raising", and personal outreach
- Develop and implement government relationships plan, and work with program teams on government funding proposals
- Partner with development committee on strategies for individual giving, as well as with nominating committee, governance committee, and other board committees
- Work closely with board, attend all board meetings, and manage all board development and orientation activities
- Oversee volunteer opportunities including new synagogue engagement program
- Build strong links to our fiscal team, and perform analysis and planning of development results; oversee development operations and ensure accuracy and efficiency
- Supervise, coach, challenge and inspire a high-performing team, encouraging career growth and expanding impact
- Build strong internal partnerships, and coach program staff on philanthropic opportunities
- Build strong relationships with partner organizations, particularly in the Jewish communal ecosystem
- 15+ years of experience in development, including at least 5 years of management experience
- Superior personal fund-raising skills and significant experience with major gifts
- Strong strategic thinking, including the ability to translate broad goals into measurable plans
- Excellent team management track record and skills
- Excellent collaboration and relationship-building skills, including the ability to work across the organization and with board members, and to contribute positively to organizational morale
- Broad-based leadership capabilities - able to contribute strategically in areas beyond their own role
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Prefer candidates who have worked in sophisticated and complex organizations with multiple philanthropic and programmatic priorities
- Understanding of and relationships in the local and/or Jewish philanthropic community highly valued but not required
- Bachelor's degree required
- Must be available to represent the agency at community-wide events and board-related meetings which may take place on nights and weekends
To apply for this position, please send your resume along with a cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications.
JF&CS is an equal opportunity employer who serves and employs people of all cultures and faith traditions and highly values diversity, equity and inclusion. Employment opportunities are available to all without regard for race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability.
THIS POSITION HAS BEEN CLOSED! PLEASE CHOOSE ONE OF THE OPTIONS BELOW:
- Search Current Openings
Sign Up For Job Alerts
Follow Us On Social Media