Day Program Instructor
- CHAI Services - Day and Employment Programming
- Waltham, MA, USA
- Full Time; Hours roughly 8AM-4PM; Monday - Friday schedule
- We regret that we cannot take phone calls regarding this position. JF&CS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Are you looking for a rewarding career supporting the independence and enrichment of adults with mild to moderate developmental disabilities? Do you have experience with individuals with developmental disabilities or in roles with similar requirements (camp counselor, substitute teacher, afterschool programming, childcare, working with other vulnerable populations, etc.)?
Jewish Family & Children's Service of Greater Boston invites you to apply for our position of Day Program Instructor - CHAI Works.
- $20/hr salary with $1,000 signing bonus
- Full-time, weekday daytime hours. No weekends!
- Waltham or Canton locations
- Paid time off includes ample sick time and 22 days of vacation, in addition to national and some Jewish holidays
- Immediate eligibility for medical insurance, dental, vision, retirement plan; no waiting period
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Day Program Instructor - CHAI Works is a role for a compassionate, energetic, and dedicated person who wants to make a difference in the lives of program participants. This position is great for someone with work, volunteer, or lived experience, or who is eager to enter the field and learn.
Your workday will include:
- Leading group sessions with participants focusing on life-long learning, hobby, recreational, and communication skills
- Working with participants to volunteer, exercise, and do other fun activities in the community
- Supporting personal development, social skills, and communication
- Utilizing redirection, conflict resolution, and verbal de-escalation methods, when needed
- Managing a caseload of about 6 participants, including maintaining professional communication with families/guardians and developing participant goals and documentation
Ideal candidates for the role of Day Program Instructor - CHAI Works are passionate about helping adults with mild to moderate developmental disabilities live rich and fulfilling lives.
A successful candidate is:
- Positive and enthusiastic about working with adults with disabilities
- A clear communicator able to write daily notes and goal progress summaries
- High-energy, flexible, and adaptable when things change
- A role model for participants learning coping and interpersonal skills
- A collaborative colleague and team player able to learn from their colleagues
- Excellent teamwork skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent leadership and instruction skills
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word and Outlook
- A valid driver's license and a reliable, insured vehicle (most transportation will take place in program-owned vehicles)
ABOUT THE PROCESS
Applying for the position of Day Program Instructor - CHAI Works has the following requirements:
- A current resume
If you are selected for consideration, the hiring process could include:
- An initial phone screen
- An in-person interview, including program participants in the hiring committee
- A writing exercise
- A CORI and fingerprint background check
- Additional hiring requirements as needed
For more than 150 years, Jewish Family & Children's Service has been helping individuals and families build a strong foundation for resilience and well-being. We intentionally serve and employ people of all faiths, backgrounds, cultures, and abilities.
Our work is guided by core tenets of faith and commitment not by bureaucratic processes or a desire to maximize profits. Our goal is to improve lives and improve the world which is part of what makes JF&CS a special place.
We have a strong culture of professional development, work-life balance, and promoting from within. Staff members run educational and fun groups on-site, and during non-pandemic times, take participants out into the community to volunteer, work out, and do other fun activities.
JF&CS is an equal opportunity employer who serves and employs people of all cultures and faith traditions and highly values diversity, equity and inclusion. Employment opportunities are available to all without regard for race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability.