Day Program Instructor/Coordinator
- CHAI Services - Day and Employment Programming
- Canton, MA, USA
- Full Time
- We regret we are unable to take phone calls about this position. JF&CS is an equal opportunity employer.
- Are you looking for meaningful work supporting the independence and enrichment of adults with mild to moderate developmental disabilities?
- Do you have experience with individuals with developmental disabilities or in roles with similar requirements (camp counselor, substitute teacher, afterschool programming, childcare, working with other vulnerable populations, etc.)?
- This position is great for someone with work, volunteer, or lived experience, OR who is eager to enter the field and learn. NO experience needed, we will train you!
- The Day Program Instructor/Coordinator- CHAI Works is a role for a compassionate, energetic, and dedicated person who wants to make a difference in the lives of program participants.
- $21/hr salary with $1,000 signing bonus
- Full-time, weekday daytime hours. No weekends!
- Canton location
- Paid time off includes ample sick time and 22 days of vacation, in addition to national and some Jewish holidays
- Immediate eligibility for medical insurance, dental, vision, retirement plan; no waiting period
Responsibilities of the Day Program Instructor/Coordinator
- Lead group sessions with participants teaching life, hobby, recreational, and communication skills
- Work with participants to volunteer, exercise, and do other fun activities in the community
- Support personal development, social skills, and communication
- Learn and apply redirection, conflict resolution, and verbal de-escalation methods, when needed
- Manage a caseload of about 6 participants, including maintaining professional communication with families/guardians and developing participant goals and documentation
Requirements of the Day Program Instructor/Coordinator
- Positive and enthusiastic about working with adults with disabilities
- High-energy, flexible, and adaptable when things change
- Excellent communication skills'a clear communicator able to write daily notes and goal progress summaries
- Excellent leadership skills- a role model for participants learning coping and interpersonal skills
- Excellent teamwork skills- a collaborative colleague and team player able to learn from their colleagues
- Willingness to learn teaching skills
- Proficient computer skills
- A valid driver's license and a reliable, insured vehicle (most transportation will take place in program-owned vehicles)
MORE ABOUT CHAI WORKS DAY PROGRAM:
Our CHAI Works day program fosters community, understanding, and personal fulfillment in individuals with disabilities to help them lead productive and integrated lives in their communities and increase their feelings of self-worth and confidence. CHAI Works helps adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities become more independent, pursue individual goals, and experience the gratification of meaningful, productive activity.
Participants enjoy an array of educational, recreational, and enrichment experiences. They take part in health and wellness activities and a variety of lifelong learning classes. Together with staff, they volunteer each week at local nonprofits where they develop job skills, soft skills, and interests. "In all of the volunteer work they do, we really try to help them understand the impact it has in their community, and how people can receive help and be helpful at the same time," says Kathryn Friel, director of day programs. "They take a lot of pride in the opportunities they have to support their communities and help other people."
For more than 150 years, Jewish Family & Children's Service has been helping individuals and families build a strong foundation for resilience and well-being. We intentionally serve and employ people of ALL faiths, backgrounds, cultures, and abilities.
Our work is guided by core tenets of faith and commitment not by bureaucratic processes or a desire to maximize profits. Our goal is to improve lives and improve the world which is part of what makes JF&CS a special place.
We have a strong culture of professional development, work-life balance, and promoting from within. Staff members run educational and fun groups on-site, and during non-pandemic times, take participants out into the community to volunteer, work out, and do other fun activities.
JF&CS is an equal opportunity employer who serves and employs people of all cultures and faith traditions and highly values diversity, equity and inclusion. Employment opportunities are available to all without regard for race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, age, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability.